Calling all bimbos, himbos, and thembos for a special multi-genre feminist anthology, we are requesting your most revealing poetry, fiction, nonfiction, hybrid work, and visual art. We love writing that is innovative in form and progressive in content. Send us art that empowers us and makes us giggle. We have a particular soft spot for work with a pop culture edge. We encourage queer and BIPOC writers and artists to please submit. We look forward to all the sugar and spice you send our way.
What are we looking for…
For the Bimbo anthology, we encourage you to interpret and reclaim “bimbo” in whichever way gives you power. We are particularly excited to see work that explores gender, sexuality, interpersonal relationships, fourth-wave feminism, intersectionality, class, self-image/self-love, and ultra-feminization. Think bubble gum, pink, and flip phones. Nostalgia redone with a gloss of equality. We appreciate anti-violence themes, pop culture subjects, and reclamations of derogatory terms. We love icons of the 90s and 2000s, like Anna Nicole Smith, Paris Hilton, and RuPaul. We seek work that celebrates dumb blondes and recognizes that everyone is beautiful and intelligent in their own way, and the best trait one can have is kindness, anyway. If you’ve ever idolized a Playboy centerfold but resented the double-edged sword of the male gaze, this anthology is a home for you. We are resisting stereotypes stylishly!
- Submissions must be the author’s original work. We are not accepting translations at the moment.
- Please, no lyrics unless it is your original work. We do not publish work with outside lyrics. Why? Because permissions are needed for each lyric, and this is often very expensive.
- Poetry submissions may include 3-4 poems per submission. Please submit all your poems in one document.
- Please title your submission file: Firstname_Lastname_Genre (ex: Jane_Doe_Poetry)
- Visual artists can include up to 3 pieces per submission in jpeg format, under 7MB. If accepted, we will request a hi-res version.
- Works of prose may be up to 5,000 words per submission.
- All work must not have been previously published online or in print to be eligible. This includes being published in blogs or on social media.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome. Please notify us if any of your poems are accepted for publication elsewhere.
- A bio of 80 words or less must be included with your submission.
- A Word document is the preferred format. PDFs will also be accepted.
- Submissions for this anthology will close March 2024
- Thank you for trusting us with your work. We are excited to read it. Like you, we are writers. We will do our best to review submissions within 4-8 weeks, but we might take a bit longer. If you haven’t heard from us in 12 weeks, feel free to drop us a line.
- This is a print anthology that will be published in 2024.
- Contributors receive a contributor copy of the anthology.
- Madison Whatley is the editor of this anthology.